For Oriental rugs with extensive wear, holes or moth damage, we are able to offer expert rug reweaving or patching services. Prior to any repair, we’ll review all restoration options with you. We will even tell you exactly what kind of rug you have and how much it is worth so that you are armed with all of the necessary information to make the right decision for your Persian rug, be it a family heirloom or a utilitarian floorcovering.
One of the tools available to us in our carpet repair arsenal is the humble patch. It is the most affordable type of rug repair you can choose for pieces whose value may not warrant extensive rug reweaving. A patch is exactly what you think it is – a piece of another rug cut to fit the hole in your rug and secured into place. The patch can be secured using glue or hand-stitching, and these different types of repair are priced on a case-by-case basis accordingly.
- When patching, we first determine what kind of rug you have, so a comparable patch can be found.
- Next, we go through our substantial stockpile of rug patches looking for pieces that are similar in style, weave, color and age to your rug.
- When the best match is found, it is then glued into place or sewn into place.
- In some cases, we consult with you during this process so you have the final say in what the patch will look like.
Patches are the most conspicuous type of rug hole repair, however, we do our very best to find a matching patch and have a good track record of hunting down good matches.
Moth Damage Repair
Moths love to eat the wool portion of rugs, leaving the remaining areas intact. Fortunately, rugs are woven predominantly on foundations of cotton, so when we reweave holes due to moth damage, we only need to replace the missing wool parts, and not rebuild the entire rug.
Repairing moth damage in Oriental rugs involves missing knots being replaced with wool in a color as close as possible to the original. The original style and pattern is also replicated as much as possible.
Moth damage repair is priced on a case-by-case basis.
For the small number of wool rugs that are also woven on a wool foundation, moth damage repair is treated the same as any hole repair, as the foundation is usually eaten away by moths as well.
Any unfortunate incident that leaves your rug with a hole, tear or otherwise missing an original part can be repaired by our expert rug weavers.
- When reweaving a Persian rug, first the hole is inspected and the remaining portion of the rug is tested for durability.
- If the areas immediately surrounding the hole are not stable (due to dry rot, stretching or some other cause), the hole in your rug may be made bigger before being repaired.
- Once we are certain we are working with a stable area, foundational threads are sewn into your rug, making a grid onto which the knots will be tied.
- Then, using the remaining portions of the rug as a guide, closely color-matched wool yarn is knotted to replicate the original pattern. In older rugs with thin pile, the pattern is rewoven using Kashmiri stitching (a process quite similar to needlepoint) instead of knotted. Kelim rugs are also rewoven instead of knotted.
All reweaving work is priced on a case by case basis, and the pricing is based on the size of the hole, the tightness of the weave and the intricacies of the pattern.
When areas of a rug are badly damaged, but there are still large, salvageable portions left, there are options available to our customers that you can learn more about here. (link to cutting/resizing page)
Regardless of the type of damage or type of rug, our rug experts can guide you through the Persian rug repair process. We will provide you with all repair options as well as pertinent market value information in order to help you determine what is the most cost-effective and appropriate repair for your particular rug.
More Rug Services
Jahann and Sons provides a wide variety of rug services including professional cleaning, repairing, appraising and designing.
From Our Customers
“I was super impressed with the service and quality of this rug cleaning service. I called them, they came in two days (they offered to come the next day), gave me an accurate estimate and were polite and careful. Then, when the rug was delivered (also promptly), they arrived and laid out the rug to my liking. The rug looked amazing–we had inherited a dull, not very pretty rug. What came back to us was bright and beautiful without one stain on it. In addition, there was no odor from the cleaning. They were so wonderful to deal with every step of the process. I will never use anyone else!!!”
“They picked it up and delivered it according to my preference and did a wonderful job cleaning it!! It’s a very old rug so it looks so fresh and bright now! Also, their pricing beats the competition hands down.”
“I am so pleased with my experience with Jahann and Sons! I got a same day pick up of my beautiful Afghan rug; the owner himself picked it up for cleaning! In less than a week it was returned to me in amazing shape and a stain that I was concerned about was almost completely removed! I would highly recommend them for rug cleaning services. I’m so happy with my rug; Thank you so much!”
“Jahann and Sons has great prices and even more fabulous customer service. The owner is an honest and thoughtful man. We were looking for Persian rugs with specific colors and specific geometric patterns (Kahzak). He combed through many many rugs with us, and ultimately sent to his factory not once but twice to have them send several rugs he thought we might like. The first set wasn’t to our liking so he sent for more. He was very patient with us and gave us a great deal for two rugs. They are beautiful hand, woven wool rugs – top quality.”
Questions? Call us at 301-530-6660 to speak with one of our specialists.